Thursday 5 April 2012

Vegan Macaroni and Cheese with Broccoli and Butternut Squash

Macaroni and Cheese is one of my favourite comfort foods in winter.  After finding Daiya Cheese I tried making Macaroni and Cheese but really found the recipe lacked something, which turned out to be vegetables.  




It took a lot of trial and error but this is now a recipe I absolutely love.  With this recipe I am able to make enough for two casserole dishes.  I freeze the second dish for later use.  If you use gluten free noodles and bread crumbs (or even omit the bread crumbs) this recipe can be wheat free.




Ingredients

1 box pasta, regular or gluten free (375g) I use Catelli whole wheat or multigrain elbow noodles
2 bags Daiya Style Shreds or 16 oz dairy free cheese, I use Cheddar
3 tablespoons vegan margarine, I use Becel Vegan
2 cups almond milk, or other dairy free milk
2 tbsp nutritional yeast
1/2 cup gluten free or regular bread crumbs,  I use Panko Bread Crumbs
Paprika
1 bunch broccoli
1 package of butternut squash or 1 butternut squash

Directions

1. Cook pasta according to package instructions.  Drain thoroughly when done and set aside.
2. Cut up broccoli into florets and add to the pot with the drain pasta.
3. Cook butternut squash according to package instructions.  When cooked cut up in the to small pieces and add to the pot with the pasta and broccoli
4. Preheat oven to 350°F.
5. In a small pot melt the butter, when melted add the nutritional yeast.  Stir in the milk and the cheese.  Cook over low-medium heat for about 3 minutes, stirring frequently.
6. Add the cheese sauce to the pasta pot and stir.
7. Place the past in a greased baking dish and cover with the bread crumbs, sprinkle the paprika over top.
8. Bake in over for about 15-20 minutes or until the cheese bubbles.

If you are freezing the second casserole dish do not add the bread crumbs or paprika until you plan to cook it.  If cooking from frozen bake in oven for about 1 hour or until the cheese bubbles at 350°F .  If the casserole has been thawed bake for 30-40 minutes or until the cheese bubbles.



1 comment:

  1. Another great recipe to try! I love to cook comfort food when I'm too tired to make a fussy meal. I like the idea of a second casserole to freeze.

    ReplyDelete