Thursday 19 April 2012

Perfect Roast Chicken

I am happy to be able to post again.  I was away for work and then recovering from minor surgery.  Things are going well, but very busy.  I hope to post a few more recipes over the coming days for you to enjoy.  I have also recently purchased two new cookbooks I will be trying out.

As I mentioned I was away for work.  When I am on the road I like to leave some food here for my fiance to enjoy while I am away.  This is a wonderful recipe for roast chicken, the skin will brown nicely, without getting two crispy.

The amount of time you will need to cook your chicken will vary based on it's weight.  As a general rule, a chicken will roast for 20 minutes per pound, with an additional 10-20 minutes.



Preheat oven to 450°F.

If the chicken contains giblets or kidneys remove these.
Rinse the chicken under cold running water and towel dry, I use paper towels.
You can season the chicken how ever you like.  Rub a bit of dairy free margarine, I used Becel Vegan on the outside of the chicken and then add the spices you plan to use, spreading over the entire chicken.  I used about 2 tbsp of thyme, summer savoury and poultry seasoning.  I also added 4 peeled garlic cloves to the chicken cavity for additional flavour.  You can also place the garlic cloves under the skin if you wish.

Roast the chicken at 450°F for 15 minutes.  Turn the oven to 375°F for the remaining of the cooking time. I used a 3lb chicken, it cooked for 1h30 minutes.  Always be sure to use a meat thermometer to ensure the chicken has cooked thoroughly.

I like the save my carcass to make soup.  The flavour is wonderful and it will cost you very little to make a whole batch of chicken soup or stock.

No comments:

Post a Comment