Friday 6 April 2012

Tilapia with Mango Salsa

I love fish, but unfortunately my fiance has no interest in eating fish.  The other night I was on my own for dinner, which was a perfect time for one of my favourite foods.  I accompanied the tilapia with balsamic vinegar spinach and steamed jasmine rice.




If you are making rice, please be aware the rice should be started before anything else as the fish and spinach take minutes to cook.

Mango Salsa

Serves 4

1 ripe mango
1 chopped red pepper
1/2 a red onion, sliced
1 chopped jalapeno (seeded)
1 lime
a few sprigs of cilantro or parsley

Mix all ingredients in a bowl and place in fridge until ready to serve.  This can be made a few hours ahead and does taste better when done this way.

Place the salsa over the cooked fish to serve.

Tilapia 


I lightly floured my tilapia and pan fried it in oil over medium heat.  I cook it for about 2-3 minutes per side.  Be careful not to over cook your fish, it should flake with a fork.  If you cannot eat wheat you can skip lightly flouring the fish and still pan fry it, the fish just won't look golden on the outside but will still taste wonderful.

Balsamic Spinach

Serves 4

8 cups of spinach
1 tbsp olive olive
1 garlic clove
2 tbsp balsamic vinegar

Heat the oil over medium heat.  Add the spinach and garlic, depending on the size of your pan you may wish to add the spinach 2 cups at a time, letting it begin to wilt before adding more.  Once the spinach begins to wilt add the balsamic vinegar.  Once the spinach is wilted you can turn in down to low while you cook the fish.




No comments:

Post a Comment