Monday 9 July 2012

Vegan and Soy Free Strawberry Ice Cream

After quite the hiatus from my blog I am back.  The wedding was wonderful as were our 3 weeks in Europe for our honeymoon.  I hope to have more time and be able to post more frequently now.



Ingredients
2 cans of coconut milk (the cans I used were 398ml each)
3/4 granulated sugar
1 1/2 tsp vanilla extract
3 cups of strawberries (I used fresh but I believe you could thaw frozen berries for this recipe)
1. Wash and hull strawberries.  I processed mine in a food processor, it takes just a second or two, you do not want to liquefy them.  If you do not have a food processor quarter the berries.  Set aside.



2. In a saucepan, combine coconut milk, sugar and vanilla extract.  Bring 
to a low boil over medium heat, stirring until the sugar dissolves.  Turn off heat and add the strawberries.




3. Pour into a bowl and refrigerate for 2 to 3 hours, or until very cold.  For faster chilling, place over a bowl of ice water and stir frequently.
4. Transfer to an ice cream maker and freeze according to manufacturer's directions.  If you do not have an ice cream maker you can freeze the ice cream in a metal container until firm, stirring 4 to 5 times during the freezing process.  You may wish to add a few extra hulled and quartered strawberries while the ice cream is freezing.  Follow the directions on your ice cream maker for this.




This ice cream will keep for about one month in the freezer.  As with other non-dairy ice creams you will need to let it sit on the counter for about 15 minutes before you can scoop it.



1 comment:

  1. Welcome back! Hope the return to work was not too harsh after such a nice break!
    This recipe sounds soooooo good, I will borrow daughter's ice cream maker and make a batch for myself (ok, maybe I will share some).

    ReplyDelete