Monday 26 March 2012

Decadent Brownies - Dairy, Soy and Wheat Free

I can't remember the last time I had brownies but after seeing the recipe for Light Decadent Brownies in Chatelaine's February issue I have wanted to try these.  I of course made a few changes.  Below is my adapted recipe.  The almond extract is by far one of my favourite additions to anything baked.  I have used ground flax seed but this is optional.  This recipe will make about 16 brownies, of course this depends on how big the pieces you cut are.



Ingredients
2 1/2 cups icing sugar
2 cups ground almonds (I used unblanched)
2/3 cup unsweetened cocoa powder
2 tbsp ground flax meal (optional)
4 egg whites
1/4 cup almond milk or other non-dairy milk
1 tsp vanilla extract
1 tsp almond extract or use another tsp of vanilla if you don't have or like almond extract

Directions
1. Preheat oven to 350°F.  Line a brownie pan of 8x8 baking pan with parchment paper, letting it hang over the sides of the pan.  To get the parchment paper to stay in place first spray the pan with cooking spray.
2. Stir the sugar, almonds and cocoa in a large bowl.  Stir in egg whites, non-dairy milk, vanilla and almond extract.  Scrape in to prepared pan and smooth top.
3. Bake for 40 minutes in centre of oven until top of brownie is shiny and crispy, a tooth pick should come out almost clean.  Run a knife around the sides of the pan.  Use parchment to lift brownie out of pan and let cool completely on a wire rack.

I served my brownies sprinkled with raspberries and some icing sugar sprinkled on top.  I love raspberry and dark chocolate but you can use any fruit you enjoy.  If using frozen fruit allow it to thaw and poor the juice over the brownie as well.

You may wish to use the egg yolks to make the banana mug cake.


1 comment:

  1. I'm not a chocolate lover as some people I know in my house butI'll make these just for him!
    I mentioned your new blog and wonderful raspberry cupcakes on my blog yesterday so others can share in the joy of cooking dairy free!

    ReplyDelete