Sunday 25 March 2012

Dairy Free Vanilla Coconut Creme Brulee

I absolutely love Creme Brulee, but a dairy allergy poses a definite problem in being able to eat it.  The last time I was foolish enough to try a real dairy Creme Brulee, I had to rush home for more Benadryl and spent the night with a sore stomach and hives, although at times I think it may have been worth it.  Experiences like these are why I was so happy to successfully make this dessert without dairy.



Ingredients
1 can coconut milk
This was before I broiled the creme brulee
4 egg yolks
1/2 cup sugar and 2 tbsp
2 tsp vanilla extract
2 vanilla beans

Directions
1. Remove the vanilla seeds from the vanilla beans and set aside.
2. Preheat over to 325°F.
3. Over a double boiler, stir 4 egg yolks and 1/2 cup of sugar until the mixture becomes a light colour and has a gooey texture.  Ensure it is not crystalline anymore.  Add in the coconut milk, vanilla extract and vanilla seeds and stir.
4. Pour into 4 ramekins that are sitting in 1/2" hot water bath.  Cook in oven for about 50-60 minutes, or until set.  Cool and then place in refrigerator overnight.  When ready to serve, spring with the remaining 2 tbsp of sugar and torch.  If you do not have a creme brulee torch you can sprinkle the sugar and broil in your oven.  You will need to refrigerate for one hour after use the broiler or they will be runny.

Serves 4

1 comment:

  1. Crème brulée is my absolute favorite.
    I know what you mean when you say...it's almost worth the pain just to have another crème brulée! But I know better now and look forward to baking these.

    ReplyDelete